Barbara Poczyniak, R.Ac, Reg. Acupuncturist
What pain during sex means at different life stages
What are the causes of dyspareunia
Common medical issues that may cause pain during sex
- Endometriosis – adhesions and endometriomas can cause feelings of pain during sex.
- Pelvic Inflammatory Disease – inflammation of tissues can cause deeply felt pain.
- Vaginismus – involuntary spasms of the vaginal muscles that can prevent penetration.
- Vaginal infections – dermatitis or other inflammation of the skin can cause irritation and pain.
- Vulvodynia – a pain disorder that affects the vulva.
- Displaced uterus – uterus that is tipped forward, backward or to one side may cause discomfort or pain upon penetration.
- Cysts or fibroids – cysts or fibroids may be a cause for deeply felt pain.
- Childbirth – pain from unhealed tearing, or having sexual intercourse too soon after birth.
Other causes to consider
Relationship issues may also be an important factor to consider when it comes to physical pain. Problems with her partner, such as long standing disagreements can often interfere with a woman's enjoyment and ability to relax and let go. Past traumas or abuse may also present themselves in this manner, in which case counseling or other talk therapy is highly recommended.
Birth control pills have also been linked to pain during sex for some women. In “Female Sexual Pain Disorders”, Andrew Goldstein, MD says the Pill causes overproduction of sex hormone-binding globulin, which attaches to vulvar tissue and causes biochemical changes that may produce pain. Normalizing hormone balances can treat Pill-related pain successfully.
It is important to remember that pain during sex is not normal, and should not be ignored or “put up with”. It could be a sign of a more serious issue that requires your attention. Speak to your health care provider and seek out the appropriate medical advice. In most cases it can also be complemented by natural therapies such as Acupuncture, Arvigo® Therapy or talk therapy.
Are you experiencing pain during sex and would like help with this issue? I offer Acupuncture and Arvigo® Therapy and I would be happy to answer your questions. Contact me here for your complimentary 20 minute consultation.
"When Sex is Painful"; The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
"National Survey of Sexual Health and Behavior", Indiana University School of Public Health
“Female Sexual Pain Disorders: Evaluation and Management”, Andrew Goldstein MD