Barbara Poczyniak, R.Ac, Registered Acupuncturist & Arvigo®Therapy Practitioner
However some fibroids can get very large or cause symptoms such as heavy menstrual bleeding or bleeding between periods. Many women never have any symptoms, or may only discover them when they have trouble getting pregnant. Fibroids may also be a factor in recurring miscarriages.
How does Traditional Chinese Medicine view uterine fibroids?
Successfully treating fibroids requires addressing the root cause, which often includes looking at lifestyle and nutrition habits, as well as past health history. Implementing some simple health habits can go a long way in healing or even as preparation for future surgery. Lifestyle changes are often some of the most important things to consider, along with TCM treatments such as acupuncture.
Here are my top 5 recommendations to consider in dealing with fibroids naturally.
1. Avoid External Estrogens
- avoid hormonally treated meat and dairy
- opt for organic food sources as much as you can
- eat fibre rich foods that will help colon and liver breakdown and eliminate harmful estrogens
- note that excess body fat can increase the storage of estrogen
- increase your intake of vegetables, especially cruciferous veggies such as broccoli and cabbage
- cut out use of plastics for food preparation and storage – including plastic water bottles
- reconsider your use of perfumes and scented products. This includes most cosmetics, air fresheners and even detergents – many synthetic chemicals have been linked to estrogen imbalance in the body
2. Stay hydrated and protect your liver
Apart from other negative effects such as headaches, constipation and even weight gain – not drinking enough water can also hamper the body's own healing efforts to clear up stagnation and restore proper blood circulation. Avoiding alcohol and coffee can also help your liver and keep you better hydrated.
3. Get enough quality sleep
- Blood pressure lowers and breathing becomes slower
- Blood supply to muscles increases and muscles are relaxed
- Tissue growth and repair occurs
- Energy is restored
- Hormones are released
According to TCM, the liver is working hard to filter blood during sleep, which is seen as a time of essential regeneration. The time we spend in quality sleep helps optimize the body's innate restorative efforts.
4. Try Acupuncture for fibroids
- helping to increase the production of endorphins – these are the “happy hormones” that signal the body to “rest, heal and digest”
- helping to decrease the over-production of cortisol – the “stress hormone” that signals the body to “fight or flight”
- helping to increase blood flow, by dilating blood vessels and improving circulation
- helping to balance hormonal health by improving communication between the nervous and endocrine systems
5. Improve blood and lymph circulation in the pelvic area
- The Arvigo Techniques of Maya Abdominal Therapy® are a gentle external massage that greatly benefit the circulation of blood, lymph fluid and energy to the reproductive organs.
- The self care massage taught as part of an Arvigo® Therapy treatment is an effective way to continue the beneficial effects of the professional treatment at home, on your own.
- Castor oil packs are an effective way to improve healthy blood and lymph flow in the abdomen and pelvic areas. Do not use them during menstruation. If you are actively trying to get pregnant they should only be used during the time of month between menstruation and ovulation.
- Exercise that helps increase blood and lymph flow, especially in the pelvic area. This includes brisk walking, yoga, rebounding and belly dancing.
Prepare for surgery and heal faster with Mind/Body techniques
These are a series of easy visualization techniques that are now recommended and taught in many hospitals throughout North America. They can be implemented in the months, weeks or even days leading up to surgery and throughout the period of recovery. Studies have shown participants experienced less anxiety going into surgery, as well as reduced need for post surgery pain medication and improved recovery times.
Are you or someone you know struggling with fibroids? I would be happy to answer your questions about how natural therapies such as Acupuncture and Arvigo® Therapy can help. Contact me here for your complimentary 20 minute consultation.
Integrated Gynecology Course notes (2012), Canadian Gynecology Institute of Chinese Medicine
Arvigo Techniques – Fibroid Management, Seventh Ed. (2016)
The Treatment of Infertility with Chinese Medicine, Lyttleton Jane
Sleep Foundation research, SleepFoundation.org
Prepare for Surgery, Heal Faster, Huddleston Peggy